Well, it looks like the ship might really be starting to right itself. Obviously only managing three wins in a nine game road trip isn't ideal, but these last two wins have been great.
The Blades opened up the scoring with a power play tally from Chris Murray (assists to Hutchings and Beca). Around the 3:24 mark, Robby Dee had a chance to make it 2-0 with a penalty shot, but was unsuccessful. Mike McKenzie fought (his second or third of the season I believe) around the 19:24. A few seconds later Greenville was able to slip one past goalie John Muse to tie the game 1-1.
The Blades knew how to respond though. They came out in the opening minutes of the second and took the lead once again with a goal from captain Mathieu Roy (assists to Hutchings and Murray). Less than two minutes later Robby Dee notched his fourth of the season (assist to Rutherford) to make it 3-1. Greenville responded and narrowed the Blades lead to 3-2 at the 8:26 mark.
Luckily, the third period saw the Blades start on the power play and they were able to convert with Murray's second power play goal of the game (assists to Hutchings and McGinnis) 48 seconds into the period. The Road Warriors came on strong but the Blades were able to hold them off. In the closing minutes of the period the Blades were called for a penalty. The Road Warriors opted to pull their goalie for the extra attacker. Luckily, the Blades appear to relish playing two men down. The guys enjoyed it so much Ryan Donald decided to score a short handed empty netter during the 6 on 4. The final buzzer sounded and the Blades skated off with their 5-2 win.
- So, uh, I'm thinking the best plan for our power play is to pass it to Murray and let him do his thing. Sheesh.
- Three points for him by the way.
- Roobby Dee is quietly doing his thing, and doing it well, isn't he?
- If he keeps playing the way he's been playing John Muse won't have any competition for the starting job.
- The Blades haven't been able to convert on a penalty shot (they've had two or three attempts) and lost a game in the shoot-out. I'm thinking that might be a good thing to work on.
- *insert usual comment about turnovers and defensive breakdowns*
- *insert usial comment about how awesome it is shot blocking is happening a lot*
The Blades are off until Wednesday. First home game in like two weeks? $2 wine? I don't know about you guys, but I'll be pacing outside the arena three hours before the gates open.